Day 11 of my mental health themed A to Z Challenge is K for Kindness.
What’s kindness got to do with mental health?
Definitions of kindness focus on being kind to others – ‘the act of being friendly, generous and considerate’ (Oxford English Dictionary) and ‘kindness is a behaviour marked by ethical characteristics, a pleasant disposition and a concern for others’ (Wikipedia). But what about being kind to yourself?
- Are you a kind person to everyone else but yourself?
- Do you listen to what your body and mind need?
- Do you treat yourself with love and respect?
- Do you question the way that you’re feeling and why?
- Do you get angry at yourself?
- Do you always put others needs before your own?
I am guilty of so many of these things and it’s something that I’ve been trying to work on. But there is probably room for improvement! If you’ve answered yes to some of these questions then you are not being kind to yourself. Not looking after yourself makes it easier to slip further and further into anxiety and depression.
Thankyou for reading,