Today is the last day of self care week. This annual national campaign aims to empower all of us to take better care of our health and ourselves. It’s made me realise that self care is not just about your mental health, it’s about your physical health aswell and impacts your whole body’s wellbeing. This is also something that I know affects me, when I get ill or tired my mood definitely goes down. It’s something I’ve noticed now that I’ve had an ear infection, cold, cough and now what feels like a chest infection my mood is definitely quite low.
Taking ownership of your health and wellbeing is empowering. Taking care of yourself can instantly make yourself feel better. It can make you feel more control.
- Get outside. Move your feet, ride your bike. Get your heart pumping, feel the fresh air and sunshine on your skin.
- Eat and drink well.
- Take time to spend time with friends and family.
- Rest when you need it. Get enough sleep. Relax.
- Take care of yourself. Shower, clean your teeth, take your vitamins and medicines.
- Take time to do what makes you happy. Spend time with animals, take some photos, read a book, listen to music.
- Be creative. Do some colouring or something else like baking or craft. I’ve just found this website which has lots of ideas.
- Put together a self care box.
- Sometimes… let someone else look after you!
What do you do to take care of yourself?