Day 10 of my mental health themed A to Z Challenge is J for Joy.
Everyone wants to feel happy and joyful. Whether you have mental health problem or not it is important to look for and notice joy and happiness in your life and in the world. When you struggle with anxiety or depression it can be hard to see anything other than the negatives, the bad stuff in the world and worries to be afraid of. Sometimes when you’re in such a dark place it’s hard to see anything but black.
I think it’s really important to see joy in everyday life, to find happiness in the little things. It’s not all about the highlights reel; the perfect Instagram selfie, graduation, proposals, wedding, that ultrasound picture, parties and celebrations.
Ways to seek joy
- Going for a walk.
- Watching Milly run with joy and seeing the smile on her face which says she’s happy to be out.
- Taking in nature – hearing the birds, looking at flowers and trees. I especially love a walk along the coast taking in the fresh sea air.
- Good food. It’s always satisfying to bake a cake or some cookies. I also enjoy cooking new recipes. I like to make nutritious but tasty meals or pure comfort food!
- A cuddle on the sofa – this could either be from a human or dog!
- Milly greeting me at the front door – she’s always pleased to see me.
- Cosying up under a blanket with a good book.
- Looking up and seeing a sky full of stars.
- Blue skies
- Fresh flowers
- Having brightly coloured nails
- Doing some colouring
- Lighting candles
- Looking at photographs
What else would you add to the list? Let me know in the comments.
Thankyou for reading,